Thursday, February 8, 2018

Know your Code Laws in Your town

So yesterday we had the town Code Enforcement Officer call telling me we could only have 6 hens, no roosters and we needed a permit to have those chickens.
Well as you know, I have way more than that here on my homestead. Supposedly our local pd "observed" we had chickens running around here. Well seems we habe had chickens here 3 years and goats 2, I have a feeling it was someone local who has nothing better to do but be a busy body.
Before we purchased the goats I had checked the code and thought we were in the clear.
After many tears and phone calls Code Officer called me back letting us know he was wrong and we can have whatever we want for animals but we had to purchase a $50 farm permit and the chickens have to be fenced in. Which neither is a big deal. For now the chickens need to stay in the coopuntil spring when we can build a big run for them.  If we add onto our barn we will need a construction permit.
I'm ver thankful I do NOT need to get rid of any of them and even added pigs to our permit with hopes of getting some in the spring.


No comments:

Post a Comment