Saturday, May 19, 2018

Beginnings of an Orchard/Plant buying Advice

Yesterday our loam/compost combination was delivered and our raised beds are now ready to be used. (Thank you Black Bear Lawncare) We also put soil in our potato buckets. I'm looming forward to planting our garden this weekend.
Yesterday we purchased another raspberry plant and a blackberry one. I'm excited to tell you we bought 2 plum trees!! We will be planting those closer to the house. I learned that most fruit trees need pollinator trees. (I really should start reading my gardening books) Next on the list to purchase will be a Contender Peach tree. I learned those are self pollinating. Then we eventually will buy apple trees and cherry trees as well as 2 more blueberry bushes.
I also learned some herbs are annuals. I was watching my herb containers and wondering why some were not growing. I read on a tag at one of the stores we wwre at they were annuals!
This weekend we are going to have an herb raised bed! I will post pics of my garden area this weekend. It will be later on as 4 of my boys have baseball games today.

I'd like to take a moment and discuss buying plants. I have purchased the majority of my plants from either Home Depot, Tractor Supply or Blue Seal. Home depot and Blue Seal take the best care of their plants. Tractor Supply you need to comb through what they have in stock as 70% has died.
 The absolute WORST place would be to buy from Lowes. Their flowers and herbs are all dry and brittle. A few of their bushes and shrubs were ok.  Look around before buying your fruit, veggies and flowers. Purchase from a place that cares for the plants so you dont plant something and it dies quickly.
I'm looking forward to gardening this year and will post pics soon of our garden area this weekend.
Happy Saturday

No comments:

Post a Comment