Monday, October 12, 2020

Around the Homestead

So today we cleaned the barns out and put in fresh shavings and straw. (Well the guys did I just watched) 





The cows are almost fully weaned off their milk. They have been eating hay for a month and we are increasing their calf grain as we are decreasing their milk.
The sheep are doing really well. They sleep with the cows. Cecilia is still territorial but they just run away from her. Oreo doesnt mind them whatsoever.
I began cleaning the raised beds. I have the back ones to do now. I am already planning my garden for next year. :)
I had an amazing surprise today though. My potatoes actually grew! I was so shocked. When I checked them earlier this fall I guess I did not go deep enough in the soil. Next year im not going to bother planting potatoes in the potato bags. I'm just going to plant them in rows.


While I was collecting plantain today we had a little bird visit us. It flew on my arm and Wyatt caught it and released it.









We also heard a woodpecker but when I went to take a photograph he flew away.
I'm using a dehydrator I bought at a yard sale a few years ago for the first time. Im drying herbs in it I harvested. I was even able to save some seeds for the first time.

The rest of the herbs that wouldn't fit into the dehydrator I have on newspaper on my kitchen counter.
The only thing I have left to pull and save for next year are the gladiola bulbs!
The chickens and ducks are still laying eggs. We get 9-14 eggs a day. 
Our turkeys go Monday to be processed. It feels pretty amazing to raise our own food.
This past weekend I was able to attend Homesteaders of America conference for the first time as it was virtual. (Www.Homesteadersofamerica.com) I missed a few of the lectures but will be able to watch them this week. I highly recommend becoming a member as there is just a wealth of knowledge for members!



No comments:

Post a Comment