Sunday, December 12, 2021

Homesteading Plans 2022

Winter is a time to slow down (other than kids sports activities). I usually take time to plan my garden. Think of animals I want to add to the farm. I ask myself what do I want for my homestead?

I love snow for Christmas and New Year's. I absolutely HATE driving in the bad weather but do drive when the boys need to go somewhere. Hard to believe when I've lived in Maine almost my whole life. (A little exception was when we lived in North Carolina while my dad was in the Marines. )  Seeing snow and Christmas decorations is magical in its own way.



We have our tree decorated. It is filled with ornaments the boys have picked out over the years. It is also filled with ornaments my mom has made for us. Homemade gifts are my absolute favorite.




We left the bottom of the tree a little bare due to the puppies wanting to steal them.

We had a scary moment yesterday. We had a fire in the pellet stove pipe. I'm thankful we had a fire extinguisher in the kitchen so I was able to put the fire out rather quickly so there wasn't any damage to the house. I was able to stay calm so my mind didn't panick. The boys grabbed the dogs and went out by the car. My husband had brought one of our boys to work. When he got home we cleaned the pipe so there wasn't any build up of soot.

This week I plan on doing some holiday baking. First on the list is Rocky Road then we will be baking Candy Cane Cookies. Mom always had holiday treats for us during the Christmas season. It was her labor of love for our family.

Some of my favorite winter memories.
There was one Christmas all 5 of us went to my Great Grandparents land and cut our own Christmas tree. Everytime we decorated the tree we had Christmas music playing. 
We would watch holiday specials as a family every year. Our favorite beverage was hot cocoa with fluff on top. My brothers and I would end up with fluff mustaches.
When I was younger we would go to several different Christmas parties. We would gather at dad's Aunt Jo's. Dad's parents used to have all of us get together as well. Once mom's parents moved back to Maine we always get together the Saturday before Christmas for that side of the family.  Gift giving there has changed over the years. Yhr family always donates money to a new charity/organization every year.
I'm hoping as my boys get older and have families if their own thar we will have our own Christmas get together so at least once a year we will be altogether. 

I enjoy making different soups and stews through the winter.  I am starting to meal plan and like to use typical recipes we always enjoy eating as well as trying new ones. Meal planning is helping me not to be stuck with hum drum meals constantly.  I have many cookbooks I get inspiration from as well as Pinterest.

Time for me to get back to my homesteading research. I really want to start my homestead business in 2022. My friend Kenzie and I would like to partner our homesteads. If you ever need some tips Himesteaders of America has compiled a list of 145 different ideas to make money for the homestead. 

Christmas is only 13 days away!!! Hope you are all ready.🎄




No comments:

Post a Comment